Centered in the Capital Region of upstate New York, the Eastern New York Section of the American Chemical Society has a membership that is diversified in age, career tracks and cultural background/ethnicity.
HISTORY OF THE SECTION
Written by Gene McDevitt
On December 16, 1907, twenty-five chemists met at Union College to begin the organization of the Eastern New York Section of the ACS. Dr. Marston T. Bogert, President of the ACS, was speaker and received a petition requesting the grant of a local section charter. Subsequently, a charter was granted and the first meeting of the Section was held at Union on January 25, 1908. The area of the Section embraced a radius of sixty miles from Schenectady, N.Y.
The cover of the May 1983 edition of the section’s newsletter features a photo of Albert Einstein with GE Scientist C. P. Steinmetz. The photo was taken in April 1921 during a tour at RCA in Brunswick, NJ
One of our premier activities is the Buck-Whitney Award, given biennially to a scientist that has not otherwise received national recognition from the American Chemical Society. This award is given to scientists on the “bleeding edge” of their disciplines, and many awardees have gone on to achieve great recognition.